Assistant Development DirectorCompany: Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives
Date Posted: February 6, 2017
HMH Assistant Development Director Job Announcement 01 27 2017
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives Position Announcement
Title: Assistant Development Director
Location: Administration, Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives, 553 South King St., Honolulu, HI
Status: Full-time with benefits, exempt
Opening Date: February 1, 2017
Closing Date: Until position filled
Reports to: Development Director and works collaboratively with all staff
This position exists to assist the Development Director in the comprehensive fundraising and membership activities to support the programs and activities of the Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives. The position will focus on researching granting-giving foundations and agencies, writing grants or participating in writing grants, managing grants, assisting with donor research and with membership management, assisting with the management of donor and member databases and upkeep of contacts with individual donors, including donor mailings. The Development Assistant may also become involved in maintaining missionary descendant genealogies and will assist in developing periodic newsletters and annual reports.
Duties and Responsibilities include
1. Research potential granting organizations, assist with, or write, grants; manage grant deadlines and reports.
2. Perform donor research using Wealth Engine and other tools.
3. Enter and manage donor and member records in PastPerfect and other databases in use.
4. Develop concepts, gather materials, and write articles for inclusion in periodic newsletters and annual reports as assigned.
5. Develop and perform mailings for donor requests, thank you letters, or other follow-ups.
6. Meet with donors as part of a development team as requested.
7. Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Bachelor of Arts or related degree.
2. Prior development experience desired.
3. Must understand and have some experience with nonprofit organizations.
4. Must have strong organizational skills.
5. Exceptional computer skills with a wide range of software facility, especially Word, Excel, PastPerfect, and other databases. Ability to assist in troubleshooting as needed for a small computer network is a plus.
6. Preferred experience in quantitative analysis.
7. Professional demeanor and ability to interact comfortably with museum supporters, senior staff, and general public is essential.
8. Excellent interpersonal skills essential; diplomatic and discreet in handling confidential material; welcoming, kind, and respectful to all; ability to communicate, listen, compromise, and collaborate.
9. Excellent verbal skills and the ability to write clearly and do minor editing is essential.
10. Organized and efficient in managing his or her own time.
11. A team player who supports a mission-driven, non-profit history organization.
12. A good sense of humor.
Hawaiian Mission Houses Historic Site and Archives located in Honolulu’s Historic Capitol District, is the leading authority on Protestant missionary history in Hawaiʻi, and is known worldwide as the place where the Hawaiian written language was developed through the collaborative efforts of the missionaries, the ali‘i—the Hawaiian royalty—and the Hawaiian people. It preserves the two oldest documented houses in Hawai‘i, which were built and used by missionaries in the early nineteenth century, and the largest collection of Hawaiian language books in the world.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please e-mail a cover letter stating why you are applying and how you are qualified for this position, and include your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “Assistant Development Director” on the subject line.