Development DirectorCompany: Aloha Council, Boy Scouts of America
Date Posted: March 13, 2018
For over a century, Scouting has helped build the future leaders of this country by combining educational activities and lifelong values with fun. As the premier youth leadership organization in Hawaii and the Pacific region, Aloha Council fulfills the Boy Scouts of America mission by incorporating traditional Hawaiian values of kuleana (responsibility), kokua (teamwork) and malama ka aina (respect for the land) with aloha.
The Aloha Council, Boy Scouts of America is seeking a dynamic leader to join its ranks as Director of Development. As the council’s chief development officer, the Director of Development gives leadership and direction to the Council’s development efforts through fundraising campaigns, events, donor prospecting, and solicitation.
The council has a strong annual fund and special events revenue stream which is generated through a distinguished citizen dinner and five other events. Half of the council’s $3 million budget is raised through either annual fund or special events.
Job-specific Goals for Director of Development
- Maintaining revenue base from fundraising events, in particular the signature Distinguished Citizen Award Dinner.
- Increasing effectiveness from Friends of Scouting (annual fund).
- Developing a base of support from community and private foundations to support Outreach emphasis for at-risk youth identified in areas on Oahu and throughout Hawaii.
- Balanced revenue model. Enhance membership base revenues for 12,000 youth and 4,500 leaders through increased family Friends of Scouting, product sale, camp card sales, and camping revenues.
- In collaboration with the CEO, execute a successful $10 million capital campaign.
- Manage council’s public relations and PR efforts.
- Establishing a legacy gift program with emphasis on endowment.
Essential Skills of the Director of Development
- A strong communicator with both verbal and writing skills. Willing and able to relate to and communicate with a diverse community; able to positively and effectively represent and communicate the mission of the council. Must be willing and able to personally increase Scouting’s visibility throughout the council area.
- A strategic thinker and planner capable of creating a vision and developing realistic annual operating plans to accomplish the council’s objectives with and through volunteers.
- A people person, with the ability to interact with a broad spectrum of people in the community. This includes working with all levels of volunteers from new to longtime, interacting effectively with donors and community leaders, particularly the wealthy.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising development. Demonstrated ability to attract new donors through points of entry and donor cultivation activities.
- 5 + years progressive experience in management, including fundraising and events
- Strong project and relationship management experience
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- BA degree
Please submit a resume and cover letter by April 1 to:
Mr. Jeff Sulzbach, Scout Executive/CEO
Aloha Council BSA
42 Puiwa Rd
Honolulu HI 96817